Senior Data Engineer - Big Data
Racing Victoria (RV) is one of Australia’s leading sporting organisations, and the independent governing body of thoroughbred racing in Victoria. We develop, promote and manage the conduct of the racing of thoroughbred horses in Victoria to safeguard its integrity.
We are looking for a suitably qualified Senior Data Engineer to join our Digital Transformation & Technology Team.
About the Opportunity
Our Data Engineers are responsible for the data architecture and pipelines through our data lake platform. The successful candidates will work with our Data team to transform our data assets to insights and business value through designing and developing dashboards, reports and other data visualization tools.
You will be driven, confident and proactive in your interactions with various and diverse stakeholders to achieve a desirable outcome.
- Building reliable data pipelines consisting of diverse data sources to ingest and process data into cloud-based data lake platform;
- Designing, developing and implementing data solutions for data migration & collection, data analytics and batch processing solutions;
- Strategic thinking in data transformation tooling and frameworks;
- Keeping up-to-date with new techniques and technologies;
- Working with stakeholders and cross-functional teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs;
- Liaising with technology peers across the Racing industry and where required with RV’s third-party technology partners in the design and delivery of RV initiatives;
- Creating and maintaining report forms and formats, information dashboards, data generators and canned reports, as well as other information portals and resources; and
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation relating to data engineering and enhancements.
As the successful candidate, you possess the following:
- Hands-on experience working in a Big Data / Hadoop environment
- Experience with AWS services (including EMR, Lambda, API Gateway, S3, Redshift)
- Deep understanding of ETL techniques and methodologies and ability to construct associated directed acyclic graphs (DAGs)
- Knowledge of database storage, collection and aggregation models, techniques and technologies
- Working knowledge of converting batch pipelines into near real-time data streaming
As a bonus, you might possess:
- Knowledge of Docker, Kafka, MapReduce
- Tableau visualisation techniques and data sourcing practices
- An interest in the sporting industry
What can we offer you?
- The opportunity to join an industry leading and iconic sports organisation
- Attractive and competitive remuneration package, inclusive of salary packaging benefits
- Dynamic and varied work assignments and projects
- Genuine work/life balance and access to industry leading Employee Assistance programs, and development/mentoring initiatives
- A fun yet high performing workplace that is committed to diversity and inclusion
- Access to industry events and race meetings every day of the year
- On-site gym, subsidised café and free car parking and is well-accessed by public transport, both by train and tram
How do I apply?
If this sounds like you; please apply below.