Cadet Barrier Attendant / Farrier
Racing Victoria (RV) is one of Australia’s leading sporting organisations and the independent governing body of thoroughbred racing in Victoria. We develop, promote and manage the conduct of the racing of thoroughbred horses in Victoria to safeguard its integrity.
We are looking to employ a Casual Barrier Attendant/Farrier to work in the Gippsland area. The need is driven by workforce planning requirements in this area, specifically, the need to provide a succession plan for qualified farriers in the future, and to provide the agility to respond to resourcing needs in this region.
We seek a qualified and licensed farrier, who is committed to undertake a cadetship as a barrier attendant. The person we are looking for must:
- Have a certificate III in Farriery or equivalent
- Be registered as a Licensed Farrier with Racing Victoria
- Reside in the Gippsland Region
The individual will be required to undertake a cadetship as a Barrier Attendant. The key responsibilities of a Cadet Barrier Attendant include:
- Handling and loading horses safely into the starting barriers
- Assisting the veterinary team with the handling and management of injured horses
- Assisting the starters with tack and other equipment utilised by the barrier attendant team
- Undertaking a cadetship which may take up to 12 months of on-the-job training
The individual will also be required to perform the role of Raceday Farrier at race meetings. The key responsibilities of a Raceday Farrier include:
- Ensure the inspection and correction of race plates is carried out on horses prior to entering the mounting yard and post-race;
- Attend all race starts and ensure all horses wearing race plates requiring Stewards approval comply with Australian and local Rules of Racing;
- Ensure a compliance report is provided to the Chairman of Stewards at the conclusion of each race meeting and identify all horses inspected and attended to and details of any remedial work performed.
Need more information on the opportunity?