Assistant Accountant - 6 Month Contract
Racing Victoria (RV) is one of Australia’s leading sporting organisations, established in 2001 to act as the independent governing body of thoroughbred racing in Victoria. RV exists to develop, promote and manage the conduct of the racing of thoroughbred horses in Victoria.
Racing forms part of the very fabric of Melbourne, Victorian and Australian culture. Racing Victoria’s globally celebrated Spring & Autumn carnivals hold a special place in the hearts and minds of Melbournians, and are centrepieces in Australia’s sporting and social calendars.
Our Finance team has a 6-month fixed term full time opportunity available for an enthusiastic Assistant Accountant. This role will see you contribute to the financial sustainability of the thoroughbred racing industry by providing accurate and timely professional accounting support to the Finance Operations team.
This role will see you assisting in such areas as:
- The delivery and compliance of indirect tax returns (namely BAS, FBT and Payroll Tax) for Racing Victoria and associated entities;
- The accurate and timely monthly reconciliation of General Ledger balance sheet accounts as well as annual accounts and statutory audit files.
- Racing Victoria department review, accrual, rephasing and timing maintenance in preparation of the monthly financial management reports for the Board;
- Annual and Mid-Year budget preparation;
- Supporting the Finance Operations team including with credit control, prizemoney control, stakes payments, purchase orders and policy and procedural documentation.
To be successful in this role you will have a formal accounting qualification and be working towards or a view to commence study to gain a qualification of a recognised account body (CA or CPA). You will ideally have had exposure to accounting software with a demonstrated knowledge and application of account standards.
Your problem-solving skills, attention to detail and ability to deliver will be paramount to your success in this role. Along with a genuine team focus, strong organisational skills and the ability to facilitate interaction with a broad range of stakeholders. You will have competence with the Microsoft Office suite, in particular Excel, and a knowledge of thoroughbred racing is an advantage.
What can we offer you?
As well as a competitive remuneration package, a friendly team and an open-plan office environment, this role offers added benefits of working for RV:
- industry tickets to race meetings every day of the year
- on-site gym, café and free car parking
- well-accessed by public transport both by train and tram
How to apply?
Follow the prompts below and upload your resume and cover letter as well as answer the screening questions.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE FRIDAY 13 OCTOBER